Problem with German Umlauts

Sep 19, 2009 at 9:58 AM

Hi,

first of all, thank you for a very useful contribution.

But I noticed the following problem: File names that contain international characters like German Umlauts (e.g. Ü, Ä) are garbled.

Example: "Überblick.xls" becomes "├£berblick.xl" in the zip file. Do you have an idea how to fix this or am I missing something?

Best regards,

Fredo

Coordinator
Sep 19, 2009 at 2:42 PM

Hi Fredo,

Thanks for using this library. I am going to generate a zip file with windows shell and analize it with a hex editor, to discover how non-ascii characters are encoded into zip file. Currently I am using UTF8 encoding.

I will be back to you soon.

Regards,

Jaime.

Coordinator
Sep 29, 2009 at 6:55 AM

Hi Fredo,

I have released a new version which include proper encoding system (Codepage 850 instead of UTF8) for filenames with special european characters. If you find this new version useful, please vote for it.

Best regards,

Jaime.

Oct 8, 2009 at 4:19 PM

Seems to work now. Great! 

Many thanks,

Freo

Jan 22, 2015 at 5:48 PM
Hi, This is a great library and very useful.

However, I'm encountering an issue. Creating a zip file on a Russian computer results in an exception when trying to open it again due to an invalid file name in the zip file. Opening it in 7zip I can see '?' in the file name inside. I'm guessing this is because CP437 encoding cannot handle Cyrillic characters used in the Russian char set?

Is there any easy way to use Unicode for the file names inside the zip file?

Thanks and advance.

TGa